Wednesday, October 10, 2012

through the eyes of a child


Random picture of little girls feet at the gym last year



As most of you know, I am a tumbling coach. I coach the little ones. I've gotten to know a lot of little ones over the last 3 years, and I've grown to love every single one of them. Every child possesses something different, but every child possesses something beautiful. They see the world differently. I believe this is why Jesus told us to become like little children. After all, we are Gods children.


               SMILE :)
Last week I had the opportunity to teach two little boys that didn't speak any English. But I couldn't help smile because of their huge ear to ear smiles that never disappeared for the entire hour! {In fact I'm grinning stupidly here in my room all by myself thinking about it.} A smile can make someones day. I can imagine going into the gym might have been scary for those little boys, but these boys went in with a fantastic attitude that rubbed off on everyone around them, and they never had to use words. You don't have to say anything to be the highlight of someones day.  When life gets hard, Smile :)


                                                  Let your light SHINE
Little children know what's up. They have the strongest of testimony's, and aren't afraid to say what they know because they haven't yet learned that not everyone believes the same things as them. A few weeks ago I was showing my little ones a certain skill on the trampoline. My kids are always in awe at how high I jump. One of my girls said something like "I bet Jesus could jump that high!" Then another girl said "I don't think he would come down here just to jump on the trampoline." The way these two girls openly talked about what they knew about Jesus made me think. How often do we hold our tong when we have an opportunity to share something about the gospel with some one. Little kids say it like it is with no fear of what people will think of them. We should be more like that.


       
         Be thou an EXAMPLE
We don't always realize it, but people are watching our every move. I have had several little children who have told me "I want to be just like you when I get bigger!" That can be a scary thought if you aren't doing what's right. They listen to what you say, and watch what you do. Watch what you do at all times, you never know who's watching.



                                  Be Teachable
I am involved with a school club that is all about service. Today we had the opportunity to go over to the elementary school to read books with first graders. It amazes me how much we learned in those first few years of schooling. I remember sitting in those tiny chairs ready to take it all in. I remember the first time I walked into the gym and was excited about all the new tricks I could learn. If we could only live our lives with that same attitude of learning maybe we would be a little smarter. As I sat listening to the little boy tell me about warthogs and what they eat, and where they sleep I realized there is still lots I don't know. Lots that I can learn. Be teachable. Don't be afraid to learn something from someone younger than you. I know I learn tons from my students that I coach. Be like a child and have a desire to learn, and let yourself learn from the words of a kid.



          Live a life of INNOCENCE 
Children possess a sense of innocence. They can't do anything wrong. With my three and four year old class the worst thing I ever hear is "she butted me!" or "she touched me!" If only cutting in line, and touching someone was the worst thing adults ever did. Can you imagine the world if we all lived with high standards. Live with high moral standards. Live above the worlds level. Aim to live your life with an innocence of a child. Clean and Pure.



                                 Speak KIND words 
Today as I was sitting talking to two little kids one of the little girls leaned over to me and whispered in my ear "You're pretty, I like your earrings". I have a few little girls that I coach that always touch my sparkly toenail polish and tell me they like it. I have learned that kids give compliments freely. I have learned that I need to be more like that. When you like someones outfit, or the way they did their hair, don't be afraid to tell them. It just might make their day! Use clean language. I remember the time when "meanie head" was the worst name you could be called. Now when I compare that to some of the things I hear around school I want to plug my ears and run back to the kindergarten rooms. People base what they know about you on the words you say. Make sure you are only saying things you want to be known for. 



             Become as a little CHILD
We talked about this a little bit in Seminary today. Children are the best examples of Christ. If we want to be with him, we must be like them. 
 
 


"Verily I say unto you
                      Except ye be       
 converted, 

and become as little children,          

ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven" 

-Matthew 18:3



"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticing of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a CHILD,
 submissive,
 meek,
 humble, 
patient, 
full of love,
 willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him,
 even as a child doth submit to his father." -Mosiah 3:19


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!