Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday thoughts

These past few weeks have been thought provoking. With lots going on around me I feel that sometimes I forget to focus on what really matters. This past month has provided a wake up call for me. It has helped me turn my life to the Savior in a way that I didn't have before. A large part of this has been the change in curriculum for the youth. In my house we joke about the old lessons because it seemed all of the stories went something like...
 "Sally was babysitting and she needed to cook mac and cheese. She didn't know how to make mac and cheese since she had never made it herself. She prayed to Heavenly Father and asked him to help her. Right after she said amen she discovered that there where instructions on the box. She thanked Heavenly Father for helping her in a time of need. How have your prayers been answered?"
Now I know they were a little bit more realistic than that, but I personally had a hard time connecting to them. This new curriculum has already blessed my life and we have only had it for a mere month. I just thought I'd post a few of my thoughts from church this month and how it has blessed my life.

One lesson I learned that really stuck out to me today was that we should attend our meetings, not just physically, but mentally. To me this means actively listening, and taking notes. I have discovered I pay more attention when I am looking for things to write down. I also remember more when I write things down because It allows me to look back and read my thoughts. I first started doing this at EFY. I wasn't as quick to take notes during sacrament meeting since it's not a thing I normally see people doing, and I didn't know what people would think. Since I have started this I have been able to get more out of what I hear and I have been more open to promptings of the spirit. I encourage all of you to try it!
Another thing I love about the new curriculum is that it gives everyone an opportunity to share and through this we are able to teach each other through our testimonies. I have learned so much from my peers sharing what they know with the class and I am thankful for the new opportunities to share. I have also learned to participate more myself. I try to make an effort to raise my hand and make a comment. I encourage you to do the same.

So this week I am about 3 experiences away from getting my medallion. I am so excited and can't wait to finish. This week I also had a good friend and team mate of mine get his mission call to Italy, Rome! We are proud of you Stirfry! I also can't wait for my baby sister to get baptized on Saturday! She turns 8 tomorrow and I couldn't be more proud of her. Love you Miki!


Feel my Sunlight


p.s. This freezing cold weather and mountains of snow are taunting me. Why can't summer come faster?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!