Friday, November 1, 2013

Blogswap! Work is sweet



Hey guys! Today I'm going to something awesome and let the Lovely Sarah from sprinklesonmyicecream.blogspot.com take over my blog! She is a FANTASTIC writer and I love her blog. Today I am also taking over her blog as well so as soon as you read this post hop on over to her blog and read my guest post. {This post marks day one of 30 days of thanksgiving so check it out!}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Whitney and I are doing a blog swap today! My name is Sarah. I am a Mormon teen, lover of ice cream, blogger, avid photographer, and really slow runner. [I included running in this list so I would sound cool and buff, but I wouldn't be being honest unless I also added that I run slower than a gold fish. And yes, I'm aware gold fish don't run. This goes to further illustrate my point. ;) ] 


http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01396/fish_1396516c.jpg
Image Source


But I have an even greater love than reading, photoshopping, playing the piano, and eating ice cream out of the carton with a spoon. The gospel of Jesus Christ is my rock and my strength. Speaking of which, let's stop talking about me and talk about Him instead, shall we? ;)

Have you ever heard the song, Sweet is the Work? Since my website is "a blog about the sweet things in life", I like to think that I'm a pretty good judge of things that are sweet [especially ice cream. Delicious!]. But do you want to know a secret? Whenever I hear the word "work", I don't usually think about sweet things. In fact, my first instinct is usually to cringe and make a face like this:

http://www.blufftontoday.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/photos/blogs/30398/babycrying.png
Image Source
Do you feel my pain? 

I think that all too often we associate work with bitter brussel sprouts instead of the wonderful, luscious, decadent candy that it truly is.


The other day, my seminary class was reading from 2 Nephi 5. In this chapter, Nephi explains how he has just separated the righteous part of his family from the Lamanites. I'm sure you remember how different the Nephites and Lamanites are from each other at the beginning of the Book of Mormon. The Nephites were righteous followers of Christ while the Lamanites, well....weren't. 


Eventually, it became imperative that Nephi separate his family from them so that his children would be able to grow up in a righteous environment. 


I'm sure you remember how many times the Lamanites were reminded that they should repent or they would be punished. [I wonder if Heavenly Father kind of felt like my Mom when she asks me to clean my room. "Sarah, I've told you a million times...get your laundry off the floor!" Does that sound familiar to you, too?]


So, after the Nephites left, it was time for Heavenly Father to fulfill His prophecy that the Lamanites would be "cut off from His presence" if they didn't shape up. They never shaped up, so they got cut off like my hair at the beauty parlor. [I know that might not sound very dramatic, but you should have seen my last haircut. I asked for 1/4 inch off and came back with 2 inches less hair. It was pretty intense.]


I find it really interesting that one of the first things Nephi notes in this account is the difference between the Nephites and Lamanite's work ethics.


In verse 24, Nephi says this of the Lamanites:

And because of their cursing which was upon them they did become an idle people....
Now, here's what the Nephites were up to while the Lamanites twiddled their thumbs:

We did observe to keep the judgments, and the statutes, and the commandments of the Lord in all things, according to the law of Moses. (Verse 10)
 And the Lord was with us; and we did prosper exceedingly; for we did sow seed, and we did reap again in abundance. 
And we began to raise flocks, and herds, and animals of every kind (Verse 11)
And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance. (Verse 15)
And I, Nephi, did build a temple. (Verse 16)
 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did cause my people to be industrious, and to labor with their hands. (Verse 17)
How many times did Nephi mention forms of work in there? I'm no math expert, but I counted ten different examples in just these four versesThat is a lot of labor! 


Now, here is the killer point I've been getting at. [Sorry it took so long!]


Which group do you think was the most happy? The TV-vegging Lamanites [just kidding!] or the industrious Nephites?


Upon first impression, it might seem like the Lamanites were the most joyful. I mean after all, who likes doing chores, anyway? But guess again, my friends.


The Nephites are actually the ones who got the better end of the deal. While the Lamanites became a "loathsome" people (verse 22), it is said that the Nephites "lived after the manner of happiness" (verse 27)


I don't know about you, but living after the manner of happiness sounds pretty awesome to me. 


It might seem like a catch-22, but even though work is hard and unenjoyable at times, it truly does open the doors to a whole flood of wonderful blessings. Says Elder D. Todd Christofferson:


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEghXxzqfZGctGD8TE02HWY6MaknNh61-qSIO7Nd7lzSMXf9_3lQQAeuyj_gcUtTcoea1ZZFIxhoIcRSPczp-87frCYrJkUnToHPF32Gg6HXZjyvh3YKMad27nh9NcsNoLBUGjACa8tpl9M/s1600/work.jpg


I have found these words to be so true in my life. Work truly is a grand blessing-- not a horrible curse. Just like the people of Nephi, we can "live in the manner of happiness" as we are diligent in our labors. 


As the beloved hymn says, work truly is Sweet. [Sweeter than sugar and ice cream, I might add!]

May we all willingly partake of it's deliciousness,


 Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!