Monday, August 11, 2014

Guest Post by Shelby from This Little Light of Mine

Hello my lovelies!

I just had the realization that school starts in exactly two weeks from today. That means my last summer before I become an adult ends in two weeks. I don't know how I feel about this...

Today I have something special for you! The amazing Shelby from This Little Light of Mine  is guest posting for me today! I did a post for her a few weeks back so she was nice enough to do one for me. She is amazing and I can't wait for you to get to know her! So here you have it... The incredible Shelby!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Guys!
My name is Shelby and I am so excited to be guest posting on Whitney’s blog!! A few weeks back she did an amazing job over on my blog- you should really go read it!
Hmmmmm….the dreaded introduction. I never know what to say. When asked to talk about myself I forget everything and say something dumb. Maybe when I write it will be different.
My name is Shelby (whoops already said that) I’m Mormon. I love being a member of this great gospel! It brings me SO much joy.  I love photography, blogging (duh), and graphic design.
A few other random facts about me:
  1. I have been to 4 different countries (lived in 2)
  2. I love music (I play the flute and guitar)
  3. I live in the south. No I do not have a huge southern hillbilly accent. Yes I do say y’all.
But enough about me……..
Today I want to talk about YOU…. Yes you.
You are beautiful.
You are special.
You are never alone.
You’re worth more than gold. (extra credit points if you get the song reference)
You can change the world!
Here are 2 song references because I’m awesome like that.





     
Except here’s the tricky part- the world is going to tell you you’re worthless.
Satan knows your amazing potential. He knows you can change the world for the better. And Satan hates when things are made better
So he is going to do everything in his power to stop you.
I love this flash mob so much (please watch and listen to the lyrics)
And we are as the Army of Helaman we have been taught in our youth.

For those of you who don’t know the story of the army of Helaman here’s a quick recap. The people were being attacked, but they had covenanted with their Father in Heaven that they would never kill others again. The Lamanites were really tearing up the Nephites, but the Nephites were determined to keep their covenant. Their young men were valiant and courageous and had great amounts of faith. They soon realized  that only their parents had made the covenant. So they decided to fight to defend their parents. Imagine a group of thousands of young men walking out to defend their faith with unfailing courage and the spirit of The Lord surrounding them. The miracle of it was that none were killed- a few were injured- but none died. One of my very favorite scriptures from this story is:
45 And now I say unto you, my beloved brother Moroni, that never had I seen so great courage, nay, not amongst all the Nephites.
 46 For as I had ever called them my sons (for they were all of them very young) even so they said unto me: Father, behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall; then let us go forth; we would not slay our brethren if they would let us alone; therefore let us go, lest they should overpower the army of Antipus.(Alma 56)
So why did I just tell you this whole story?
Because we are as the Army of Helaman.
We have to go forward with faith. Never fearing, trusting that the Lord will protect us and always be by our side.
We have to share the gospel with all our hearts. Knowing if it’s true. If you don’t know for sure, that’s ok.
Pray about it. Read the Book of Mormon. Trust in the Lord with all thy might mind and strength.
And he will make it known unto you. I promise. It may take time, but through hard work you will come to know the truth.
“I know this work is God’s very truth, and I know that only at our peril would we allow doubt or devils to sway us from its path. Hope on. Journey on. Honestly acknowledge your questions and your concerns, but first and forever fan the flame of your faith, because all things are possible to them that believe.” (Lord, I Believe by Jeffery R Holland- look it up on lds.org to read the full talk)
So back to my original topic.
You’re beautiful.
You’re gorgeous.
You shine like the sun.
But most importantly…
You are a witness of Christ.
Most of us grew up singing the classic childhood song:
Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottheffernan/5349351385/

The words still ring true, whatever age you are:
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam to shine for him each day!
Another personal favorite:
Source: http://crazy3rdward.blogspot.com/2012/12/mandys-mission.html

Called to serve him Heavenly King of Glory
Chosen e’er  to witness for his name.
Far and wide we tell the Father’s story far and wide his love proclaim!
Onward, ever onward as we glory in his name! (x2)
Forward, pressing forward as a triumph song we sing!
God our strength will be, press forward ever called to serve our king!
So, never forget to shine. No matter what the world says. No matter what Satan tries to make you think. I know you’re beautiful, Heavenly Father knows you’re beautiful. You know you’re beautiful. Our God is with us and he will not suffer that we should fall.  So shine on sister (or brother, whatever works)

Have a wonderful amazing day!
-Shelby
PS: I saw this quote the other day and it really struck me. It really emphasizes how important it is to truly let our light shine and not hide it under a bushel!

source: http://mormonmommyblogs.com/2014/04/happiness-conference-printable.html

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for letting me guest post! Hope you're having an amazing day:)
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you are so awesome! Thanks for emailing me and asking!! I am having an amazing day and I hope you are having one as well! :)
      -Whit

      Delete
  2. So fun to see two of my favorite bloggers in one place! Great post!

    Hugs!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our little community of bloggers we have created! So fun!
      -Whit

      Delete

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!