Wednesday, April 8, 2015

He will not let us fall



Dear blog land, oh how you are good to me.

My heart is just so full right now. I just got back from an amazing lemon-filled trip to Arizona last week, and with both Easter and General Conference last weekend as well as mission papers that I'm working on I just cant help but think of my Savior and smile at how good He has been to me.

Look how cute we are at the Grand Canyon!

Speaking of General Conference... didn't you just LOVE IT?! I did!

I don't think that I could write a blog post long enough or good enough to describe how I feel about General Conference and all of the thoughts, impressions, and answers to prayers that went through my mind while I was listening to these men that were called of God to guide us.

But I want to share just a piece of it.



I feel like I am hanging all the time, and I know the rest of the world is too. I often feel the gritty texture of the rocks in my life. There is a line in the song "Beyond Me" by TobyMac that says;


"That You gave me the stars, put them out of my reachCalled me to waters a little too deep
Oh, I've never been so aware of my need
You keep on making me see
It's way beyond me."


This is exactly what God has done with my life. He's offered me everything, things even greater than I could imagine, and then he's set them just out of my reach in a place that I couldn't possibly get to on my own. He's set up a ledge for me to hang on, but that I can't climb over by myself.

But the good part of this situation is that He is the other half of the equation needed for us to reach what we need.

Have you ever lifted up a small child so that they can reach something they want? You could easily just hand it to them, but instead you decide that it would be good for them to let them grab it. So you wait for them to ask for your help, and then you lift them.

This is what God is doing with us. He has "offered us the stars and put them just out of reach" But he has promised that he will lift us up if we follow him.

He has also promised us that  He would not let us fall.

And how can we when we have hands so strong bearing us up?

So if we have the hands that run the universe holding us up, what is there for us to do?

Helaman 5:12 says;

"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty stormshall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall."

Whenever I am tempted with something. Be it a temptation of sin, or the desire to sleep through mission prep, or some other thing that I know I shouldn't or should be doing, the words run through my mind;

I LOVE GOD MORE THAN THAT.

This is a phrase that has changed my life. Because I know that God has given me everything. He sent His only Son to die for me. Christ already paid the entire price needed. But who am I to turn down that offer of exaltation? Who am I to turn down the hand that will not let me fall? Who am I to show God that I love sin more than him by giving in?

"I love God more than that" has kept me out of so many situations. 

Every week when we take the sacrament we promise to "Always have his spirit to be with us."

To me that means to always love Him more than anything else.

It means to make decisions that will be in harmony with his will for us. And I know that if we do

HE WILL NEVER LET US FALL




feel my sunlight


p.s. What was your favorite talk in Conference?

2 comments:

  1. General Conference was amazing! I absolutely loved elder Holland's talk! It is such a huge comfort in my life to know that the Savior is always there to catch us! I love the grand canyon picture and I love this post! Lately I have been super tired before I go to bed and am tempted to skip reading my scriptures but the phrase I love God more than that keeps running through my head and it helps me make the right decision. Thanks so much for inspiring me!
    -Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting! I always love conference so much. It's almost like a holiday to me because of how excited I get for it! Thanks! I do the same thing all the time! I love God more than that keeps me on track a lot! Thank you so much!
      -Whitney

      Delete

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!