Saturday, March 7, 2015

future sister missionary


I can start working on mission papers in two weeks...

...and on that note congrats to the following mega incredible people that I am privileged to be friends with that have received their mission calls...

Lauren- Papeete, Tahiti
Teri- Baltimore, Maryland
Dallin- Huancayo, Peru
Adam- Orlando, Florida

Okay seriously... all four of those goons would make it onto my list of "top favorite humans" if I were to make one, but I'm not going to because then everybody else would feel bad. You guys are seriously so incredible and I am so excited for you. Thanks for being such great examples for me to follow. I don't know if I can express how much you four have impacted my life and lets just say that I can't wait to join you! Y'all are going to do great things. 

I'm just going to dance around the topic of missionary work for a minute because that's the kind of mood I'm in.

I'm in a current stage of crazy. And by "crazy" I mean I just want to go on a mission so bad that it occupies a lot of my thought process. Everyone that is close to me could tell you the exact number of days I have on my countdowns to how soon I can start papers, and how soon I can submit them because I'm always telling people.

I asked one of my seminary teachers a few weeks ago what the best mission prep advice he had ever heard was. I already knew what he was going to say before he said it. 

He quoted Elder Bednar when he said to;

"become a missionary long before you go on a mission."

I rolled my eyes a little at that response. "Ya Brother Peterson... I've heard that already."

I obviously hadn't tried it yet.

For some reason I had it in my head that to "be a missionary before I go on a mission" I was supposed to dress up in a skirt and walk around the high school handing out pass along cards to the non-Mormon kids in the hallway and call it good.

But what I've come to realize is that "becoming a missionary" is much more than that.


Becoming a missionary means living like a missionary as much as I possibly can. No, it doesn't mean I will stop doing the things I'm doing, It just means I'm going to act and live a little differently.

It means I'll try my best to follow the missionary schedule. Wake up early and go to bed early. This is something I have a hard time with, but that I've found that the more I do it the easier it gets and the better I feel.

It means I'll dress modestly. I won't spend all my time in a dress, but I will make sure my clothes are appropriate and that they are sending the right message to people.

It means I'll change the kind of media that I surround myself with.
I love this clip from John Bytheway about marinating in today's media. Full time missionaries surround themselves with a different type of media. The music they listen to invites the spirit and they avoid anything that is mediocre. Imagine if we all did this in our every day lives. Imagine the kind of curve ball that would throw at Satan's plan.





It means I'll study. I'll study my scriptures. I won't just read because my seminary teacher told me to. I'll study because I really want to know and become like Christ. I'll study Preach my Gospel because I want to know the material I'll be teaching in six months. It means I'll study how to play piano. I haven't played since I was 9, but you'd better know that if by chance I get called to an area where nobody else knows how to play, we will be able to sing Sweat Hour of Prayer loud and proud every week. It means that I'll study my family history. I'll learn about my ancestors conversion stories, because in a sense their conversion stories are my conversion stories and if I can come to know them, I will be able to help lead others towards the gospel as well.

It means I'll put myself in situations where I will learn. I'll go to seminary, I'll go to church, and I'll go to mission prep, and I'll be doing my best wherever I am.

It means I'll be confidant. It means I'll swallow my natural inhibition to become shy and I'll talk to people. It means I'll bring up church topics with my friends of different faiths. It means I'll raise my had in seminary and that I'll be the first to share my testimony when prompted. It means I won't be afraid to be the Lord's mouthpiece.

It means I'll look for miracles in every day life. After Adam opened his mission call yesterday, I was at his house talking to his family. We got on the topic of car accidents and that led to the topic of the miracles we have seen in our lives. This just made me realize that if we are open to looking for them, the Lord will show us miracles. The Savior's life was full of performing miracles, but only those who had their eyes open could see them. As a missionary you need to have your eyes open and your heart softened for these kinds of experiences.

It means I'll be an example. I'll live in a way that isn't self-righteous, but in a way that lets others know that the Gospel is my happiness and that I want everyone to have this same happiness.

I love this video of sisters talking about preparing for a mission.





I'm not quite there yet, but I guess that's why the Lord has given me a little while to prepare.





What is some of the best mission advise you have ever heard?





feel my sunlight





p.s. Golly I'm not excited about the time change tomorrow.
p.s.s. I'm teaching Sunday school tomorrow all by myself.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! I love your thoughts about becoming a missionary now, too. These are all wonderful tips! I especially love what you said about being confident. I have lost so many opportunities to, as you said, "be the Lord's mouthpiece", simply because I was afraid or shy. I've got to change that. Beautiful post, as always!

    Hugs!
    Sarah

    P.S. If you are looking for some easier hymns to start with, 116 come follow me, 3 Now Let Us Rejoice, and 239 Choose the Right are all in easier keys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That's something I need to work on too! I've learned that if you want to improve at something the Lord will give you opportunities to do so. I've defiantly had to work on that this year.
      Thanks for the music suggestions! Those will be next on my to-learn list!! :)
      -Whit

      Delete

Leave me a comment! I'd love to hear from you!